Friday, November 20, 2009

wild looking

I was just out looking at my garden (a part of the property facing the street), and for something that was deliberately planted, it's looking pretty wild. Especially compared to the more typical landscape that has a lawn and shrubs that are kept tightly manicured. It's been growing this way for several years and I'm not really sure what it will look like in the years to come. But I like it and it's messier appearance has been an easy adjustment for me.

I have a previous entry about lawns (no grass is greener) so I won't reiterate all that here. However, I do want to say that it is possible to get used to a different look to our yards. Our country is accustomed to seeing lawns as being synonymous with proper and acceptable landscaping, but I think that after awhile of something else, such as landscapes that emphasize habitat instead, people wouldn't even bat an eye. To make an odd comparison, I remember how strange Alex Trebek (host of Jeopardy - I have an old entry about Jeopardy here too) looked after he got rid of his mustache. But then I got used to his new look, and now his old photographs with the mustache look strange to me. It's all a matter of what we become accustomed to and yards without lawns could just as well be the new norm.

My garden looks wild but attractive, and certainly more interesting and lively.

No comments:

Post a Comment