Thursday, November 19, 2009

sports wordplay

The first section of the newspaper that I read every day is the sports section. And over the years, it's become apparent that the writers like puns and wordplay, specifically having to do with the captions for their articles. And with names like Best, Anger, and Luck making headlines at the collegiate level of football (for local Bay Area teams at that), I think we can look forward to a plethora of clever captions in the future.

Although unlikely to happen now, there are a couple of past athletes whose names were just asking to be used in wordplay which I have to get off my chest - please indulge me:


************

For former basketball player and Warrior Adonal Foyle, perhaps after making a last second game-winning shot, this is the headline I imagined for the game's article in the next day's sports section:

Foyled again!

************

And for former world-class Chilean tennis player Marcelo Rios, after doing something newsworthy (winning a tennis match, breaking an engagement, anything):

Blame it on Rios

************


Like I mentioned in a previous entry, I don't like puns (and how many years have I held the two above?) but my mind thinks that way anyway... oh well, better telling them than hearing them!

No comments:

Post a Comment