Wednesday, November 11, 2009

when Paul met John

Another series of scenarios that I would enjoy if I were able to travel in time is being present when certain people first met each other, and for the subject of today's blog entry, members of my favorite bands.

As I would only like to witness these first meetings, I would simply go back in spirit and observe silently - imagine being able to observe that fateful Saturday performance by the Quarry Men, John Lennon's band at the time, on the day that Paul McCartney was first introduced to him? My spirit would be whisking around the grounds where a series of outdoor performances was taking place beside a churchyard to take in the ambiance first, and then I'd be there to watch as the two future Beatles met. Even though they couldn't have known what a big deal it was when they first said "hi" to each other, I'd know. Cool!

Then I might go to a different point in time to a record store in Athens, Georgia called the Wuxtry. That's where Peter Buck first met Michael Stipe. Peter worked there and Michael was a frequent customer. I wonder what the day was like when Michael first set foot in the store and how long it was before they finally met. Was it that first day? Did it take several visits? What was their first conversation like? Again, such a thing may seem unexciting, but given who they were and what they were to become, I think it'd be fun to see firsthand!

The story goes that U2 first came together because a young Larry Mullen, Jr. posted a flier seeking others interested in forming a band. Among those that met in his kitchen that first meeting were the other members that eventually became U2. I'd be fascinated to be able to watch how it went, what their personalities were like at the time, and if I could tell which ones were destined to form the eventual lineup.

Now that I've become such a fan of ABBA and have even read a biography about them too, I'd love to go back in time to 1968 when Frida participated in a television program which coincidentally also featured Agnetha performing too. They hadn't yet met. I wonder how much interaction they had with each other that night.

These are just snippets of time that it'd be fun to see, just small moments in the careers of these musicians and bands. Once started, I'd want to see more and more: other people and bands, how and when songs were first conceived and written, the times in the studio, the concerts, the list goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment