Tuesday, November 24, 2009

what's pastry again?

Before watching cooking shows on TV, I thought I knew what pastry was: baked items usually eaten for breakfast such as bear claws or what you might find in an Entenmann's box at the grocery store. I can't even come up with a definition, but I'm pretty sure I know pastry when I see it. But I've been confused over what the cooking shows are calling pastry and particularly a pastry chef - apparently anyone that works with sweets and desserts is a pastry chef. Which also includes people that make sculptures out of sugar, chocolatiers, anything to do with sweets. And minimally anything to do with what I guess are then called... puff pastries?

So enough with the confusion; yet again I decided to consult with my dictionary (Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Eleventh Edition) and looked up the word pastry: sweet baked goods made of dough having a high fat content; darn it, that didn't help any... what's pastry again? What about the pastry competitions that encompass all kinds of sweets? Is pastry synonymous with dessert in general? Do chefs and the cooking world in general define pastry differently than the dictionary? Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment