Friday, November 27, 2009

depth perception and hearing

I'm still learning the consequences of losing the hearing in my right ear from the brain surgery I had this past summer. I find myself comparing it to losing the sight of a single eye. The most obvious difference that would result from losing the sight in one eye (I imagine) would be losing depth perception.

The other day, I was standing outside my house when I heard a bird singing. Actually, it was the non-melodic sound that a male Anna's hummingbird makes. And unlike before, each time I turned my head, it seemed to be coming from a different direction. That is a difference that I've noticed since the surgery - it is more difficult to determine the direction that sounds are coming from. So it's not quite the depth perception of binocular vision; it's similar but is directional rather than depth-related.

Ironically enough though, the tinnitus I frequently experience now happens more often in my right ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment