Friday, November 6, 2009

smart birds

One of my favorite things to do is birdwatching. Besides admiring them in their natural environment, there are several feeders around the house, all hanging from the eaves so that they are sheltered from the elements. It's a great way to bring the birds closer in for viewing.

This morning, I made a new batch of sugar water for the one hummingbird feeder that I keep filled. I used to have many more, but figured that I have plenty of flower options for the hummingbirds now. I believe there are trace elements in blossom nectar that are better for their health. But I like to have the feeder all the same, and the hummers sure use it!

I haven't had some of the experiences that others have had with hummingbirds, like having them flit back and forth through sprays of water from the garden hose, but I do recall an occasion years ago when one of them alerted me to an empty feeder. It flew up to the feeder, acted like it was trying to sip nectar
but couldn't, flew towards me and chattered, then flew back to the feeder, going back and forth like this several times. I was so impressed by the communication and felt such a connection to this beautiful creature. And I filled the feeder as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment