Monday, November 30, 2009

beautiful, not precious

Last night, I watched a segment on 60 Minutes about how finding gold is used to finance violence in Africa. It reminded me of how the diamond trade there has been historically used for the same thing.

Some years ago, I took a class to learn several graphics and desktop publishing programs; in my class was a woman who wore a very attractive ring on her finger. I asked her about it and she told me it was her wedding ring. But unlike the more typical band of gold with a diamond, hers looked distinctly of a Southwestern design. As I recall, she said the stone was turquoise and the band was a silver color.

Although certain metals and stones are considered to be 'precious,' in a material sense they're really whatever value humankind has placed upon them. Beauty and rarity may play big roles in their ascribed values, but we could just as well place value at a more personal level. If a band with turquoise signifies wedding vows, then that should be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment