Wednesday, November 4, 2009

disco inferno

Here's a most unfortunate circumstance I found myself in that resulted from my high school crush - ah, the memories...

As luck would have it, we found ourselves taking P.E. during the same period and I thought "At last, now I'll get to know her!" At the beginning of that particular class, us students were told to choose between one of two options: soccer or disco dancing (I'm giving away my age now, aren't I?) I remember thinking, well, I'd prefer playing soccer, but I'm willing to bite the bullet and pick dancing if it means being around her. Perhaps I was being sexist in assuming that she'd choose the dancing, and I paid dearly for that. It was also a mistake overlooking that she was already involved in after-school sports, and well, it was what it was. She chose soccer, and there I was learning disco.

I can still picture the class taking place in the multi-use room. It was awful. I was no fan of disco music, and the object of my affection wasn't there to balance the suffering out. It wasn't like ballroom dancing, but more akin to line dancing. I can even remember trying to boogie next to a guy named Dave and a guy named Kevin (I'll spare their embarrassment and withhold their last names) to the disco tunes of the era. And you can see from the title of this blog entry which song signifies this time of my life: Disco Inferno by the Trammps.

No comments:

Post a Comment