Saturday, November 14, 2009

Captain Ouch! and Quisp

I love eating breakfast cereal. Unfortunately, I'm also lactose intolerant, a change that happened in my teens. Therefore I went many years not eating cereal, including at the dining hall during college. One workaround I used once I started living off-campus was to stir yogurt into a cereal such as Cheerios - not the same at all. (Fortunately I am still able to consume other dairy products like cheese and ice cream, although I'm wary of yogurt nowadays).

For awhile in my early adulthood, I used a product called Lactaid, in the form of drops which were mixed into regular milk and allowed to do their chemistry for a day or two. Then I had only so much time to use the milk before it got too distasteful to drink anymore. Such a hassle and never quite the same taste-wise.

Then Lactaid came available premixed in milk as a product in itself; unfortunately I have found that it doesn't work that well for me and even at the number "100" I still have indigestion (to put it as politely as possible).

What a tangent! I was going to talk about Captain Crunch and most importantly my favorite childhood cereal, Quisp. One more thought: I worked at the local newspaper about 5 years ago, and perhaps the best thing that came out of my brief employment there was learning of the product Rice Dream. It's not milk, but it does taste good and has allowed me to eat breakfast cereal again. Yippee!

So anyway, I like the taste of Captain Crunch, but am I the only one whose mouth (specifically the roof of my mouth) ends up bloody and torn up after a bowlful of it? There's something about the shape of those barrels that seems to have been intentionally designed to cut and scrape. Which brings me to... Quisp.

Anybody else remember Quisp? It was a similar tasting cereal in a blue box that featured a little space alien character with a whirlygig thingy on its head. It tasted like Captain Crunch but was shaped like gentle little bowls, or flying saucers. It's not easily available now, and I have since moved on to other cereals, but I'll always have the memories...

No comments:

Post a Comment