Sunday, July 26, 2009

Jeopardy drinking games

Ever since Ken Jennings was champion (an amazing 74 consecutive victories), Jeopardy has been a show that I try to watch every night. Prior to that, it was streaky with me and whether or not I was feeling smart enough to play along. I'm lucky if I get 20% of the correct responses, and I don't think I've been lucky yet. But watching it is almost a daily occurrence for me now.

Years ago during Survivor: The Australian Outback (the show's second season), I read an article about how some viewers had created a drinking game centered around whether or not Elisabeth Hasselback cried. I've come up with my own ideas about when to have a drink based on what happens during a game of Jeopardy:

• Whenever there is a clue or response having to do with Canada; and
• Whenever Alex speaks French or otherwise uses a French accent (by the time he's done saying the word genre, it sounds like he needs to blow his nose)

I'm convinced that the writers have to have at least one reference to Canada in every show; in fact, I believe that Canada is one of the subjects that competitors must study in addition to: U.S. Presidents (when in doubt, guess Martin Van Buren), British Monarchy, World Geography, and Potent Potables (to take a lesson from Ken Jennings).

****************

Here's a television memory I have involving Alex Trebek: he was once punk'd! He was asked to make an appearance at a gathering for the Alex Trebek fan club. Naturally, the 'fans' were all actors and they were instructed to be as annoying as possible, calling themselves 'trebekies' and holding up and clicking signaling buttons. One of the more amusing things about this is that among the actors was a pre-fame Camryn Manheim! As one would expect, over the course of the joke, Alex got a bit perturbed. It was really funny.

But I like Alex - I can't imagine anyone else as host.

****************

Here are some other thoughts I've had about Jeopardy:

When all three contestants have an incorrect response to the same clue, Alex has the tendency to say, "No harm, no foul." Considering how important it is to prevent a 'runaway' at the end of the game, any adjustment to the score is crucial. "No harm, no foul" may apply throughout most of the game, practically speaking, but towards the end it can have a huge impact. For example, if Georgette has $15,000, John has $8,000, and Thomas has $3,000 and they all miss a $2,000 clue, their scores will then be $13,000, $6,000, and $1,000. And now John can no longer catch Georgette if these scores were to go into Final Jeopardy. I know, I know, for all intents and purposes, this circumstance will rarely apply in a match, but it still bothers me whenever Alex says that.

My greatest moment: correctly guessing the Final Jeopardy response as: What is clover? (I don't remember exactly, but it had to do with livestock feed and the clue included a scientific name with the prefix tri-)

Even if I'm watching alone, my responses don't count unless I say it out loud and it's the last one I say.

I've been wondering if there has ever been a match in which only one contestant could participate in Final Jeopardy? (as in, the other two contestants had minus scores)

****************

And finally, until another Jeopardy-related thought enters my mind, here is an idea I had for a fun Final Jeopardy clue (fun because if the contestants don't know the response, they might get it anyway):

Clue: Known for the garage rock classic "96 Tears," the Mysterians were led by this frontman

Correct response: Who is ?


No comments:

Post a Comment