Saturday, July 25, 2009

Wait... come back!

Where: the Sierra Madre dorms, Tower 5, on the Cal Poly San Luis Obispo campus

The Sierra Madre dorms on the Cal Poly campus are not the usual dorms, like the 'red-brick' dorms typically found on Cal State campuses, although Cal Poly has red-bricks too. Sierra Madre has five 3-floor towers, surrounding a multi-level courtyard. In Tower 5 of that particular year, the third floor was occupied by girls, and the first two floors were occupied by guys. I was on the second floor.

I participated in WOW week, the
orientation period for new students prior to the Fall quarter, thus I arrived early for my room assignment and had the room to myself for most of the first week. Room G was a corner room, one of the largest rooms in the tower. Its door opened to face a wall, then a turn right led an unusually long distance to the other end. That's where I chose to sleep, near the window.

So one night I was sleeping when I heard some loud knocking on my door along with some chatter. Groggily, I slowly got myself up, leaving my badly-needed glasses on the nightstand. As I opened the door, I saw through my blurred vision what was causing all the ruckus. On the other side of the lounge area was a group of nightie-clad co-eds from the third floor. WOW week indeed! And as I headed back to my nightstand to fetch my glasses (without saying a word or smiling first - BIG mistake), I heard one of them say, "I guess he's not interested."

AAAAAUUUGGGHHHHH!


EPILOGUE:

Evidently, I never forgot that episode. After I heard them go through the door that led to the stair
well, I can only speculate what happened next. This is what I imagine:

This bevy of young nubiles proceeded to go to the first floor to see if they would have better luck than the 'ghost-town' they found on the second floor. The guys on the first floor must have had their welcome wagon ready, because for the rest of the year, I have this picture in my mind of them perpetually with the girls from the third floor sitting on their laps.

No comments:

Post a Comment