Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I'm not in love... so don't forget it

There are few things I enjoy more than finding out little bits of trivia, especially when it comes to music. In the following case, it involves a favorite old movie too. Isn't the Internet fantastic?

I don't recall whether I originally worked backwards or forwards as I was piecing things together, so I'll just start with the movie. A wonderful movie from back in the sixties starred Sidney Poitier as an aspiring engineer who takes a job as a teacher in a tough London high school. It is called "To Sir With Love." Besides Lulu's famous title song, there is also a terrific little band that performs towards the end. I remember always thinking "I wonder if they're a real band" and "I wonder whatever became of them?" Well, yes, they were a real band and they're called The Mindbenders.

Before that, they were known as Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders, one of their hits being "The Game of Love." After Fontana left, they were simply known as the Mindbenders. The guitarist, Eric Stewart, became the lead singer
and they scored a hit with "Groovy Kind of Love." They're the ones that appeared in "To Sir With Love."

"It's Getting Harder All the Time" by the Mindbenders (from "To Sir With Love")

But there's more! I never would have guessed, but Eric Stewart later became a member of the band 10cc, known primarily for their hits "I'm Not In Love" and "The Things We Do For Love."

"I'm Not In Love" by 10cc

Standing and playing guitar in the 10cc video is Graham Gouldman, whom I found out is a songwriter extraordinaire, penning such songs as "For Your Love" and "Heart Full of Soul" by the Yardbirds; "Bus Stop" and "Look Through Any Window" by the Hollies; and "No Milk Today" by Herman's Hermits.

Also members of the band for awhile were the brilliant duo of Godley and Creme, directors of such videos as "Every Breath You Take" by the Police. They also scored with the hit "Cry" after leaving 10cc.

There are more tidbits to be found...
but I'm not trying to be wikipedia, although that is where I often turn to for information (I hope it hasn't steered me wrong yet). I just find all this stuff fascinating and more than a little exciting to find out!

2 comments:

  1. Fascinating stuff! And The Mindbenders is a great band name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a cool name! I read that they got it from a movie.

    ReplyDelete