Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I get that a lot

It's nice being a Bay Area sports fan. There are several teams to follow, at least one in every major sport. And right now, one of baseball's brightest stars is pitcher Tim Lincecum of the San Francisco Giants. He is the current NL Cy Young Award winner.

Among the funniest things I read and hear are the references to how youthful he looks. It wasn't that long ago that security guards at ballparks didn't believe that he was an actual major leaguer and wouldn't allow him access to the players only areas. My favorite is the description that he looks like he should be riding a skateboard and/or bagging groceries.

Which brings me to a show that aired in early April called "I Get That A Lot," which showed celebrities pretending to be average people working at regular jobs. Some of the stars were: LeAnn Rimes, Jeff Probst, Mario Lopez, Ice-T, and Heidi Klum. Whenever someone said they looked like the famous star that they were, they'd say "I get that a lot" and deny it.

So I couldn't help but picture Tim Lincecum bagging groceries at a grocery store:

customer: "Hey, you're Tim Lincecum!"
Tim: "No... but I get that a lot."
customer: "No... you're Tim Lincecum!"
Tim: "Sorry, but I'm really not."
customer: "Then what's your name?"
Tim: "Ironically, it's Randy Johnson. Good thing I like the Giants!"
customer: "But you look like Tim Lincecum."
Tim: "But my name is Randy Johnson."

(pause)

same customer: "Do you like Choco Tacos?"
Tim: "I LOVE Choco Tacos!"
customer: "You're Tim Lincecum!"
Tim: "Lots of people like Choco Tacos."

(pause)

same customer: "Randy!"
Tim: (no answer)
customer: "Randy!"
Tim: (no answer)
customer: "Tim!"
Tim: "What?"
customer: "You're Tim Lincecum!"

(the end)


My apologies folks, but I'm imagining these kinds of scenarios all the time! Here's a link to a commercial he did for MLB 2K9. By the way, the tall player in the locker room is... Randy Johnson.

No comments:

Post a Comment