Monday, July 22, 2013

Survival Sampler - Depeche Mode: Everything Counts

And so we've reached the final song on my Survival Sampler cassette. And it's a well-known song by a well-known band. 

I recall Chris Martin of Coldplay once saying that the trinity (or some such word) of rock bands that influenced him were: R.E.M., U2, and Depeche Mode. Well, I can relate to the first two, as they were my favorite bands during the 1980's, a decade that was my most active in listening to "my own" bands and discoveries. Depeche Mode, for some reason, not as much. 

But hey, I never got into Pink Floyd either. There are lots of seminal bands that I didn't listen to - I guess the bottom line therefore is: I need more disposable income! Even in the '80s, I felt I could only invest in one band between The Replacements and Husker Du... and I chose The Replacements. I can still picture looking at my two choices: "Hootenanny" by The Replacements, and "Land Speed Record" by Husker Du while shopping at Boo Boo Records in San Luis Obispo. I walked out of there with just one of the two: "Hootenanny." 

Though I later went on to purchase the '45 single of Husker Du's cover of the Byrds' "Eight Miles High." 

Quite a tangent there, huh? Here's Depeche Mode: 



No comments:

Post a Comment