Saturday, July 6, 2013

obsessed with Garbage

Lately, I've been spending lots of time surfing for videos by the band Garbage. I find their lead singer, Shirley Manson, mesmerizing. Not just striking and cute and sexy, but she just oozes charisma. And I'm not the only one who thinks so; she not too long ago played a role in the television show, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I didn't watch the show when it was on, though; she was one of, if not the, terminator(s). 

Garbage had an early hit, Stupid Girl, quite awhile ago and I bought their first album back then: 




Not that they need any sort of cred, but their drummer is Butch Vig, who produced Nirvana's Nevermind album. 

Here's another gem of a performance I found on YouTube: 



The name of the band is powerful and great... and gutsy too. Luckily they're good enough where their music won't be said to be reminiscent of their name. It's kind of flippant and rebellious, don't you think? There was one interview I saw, maybe with Craig Kilborn, where Shirley mentions another name the band was considering; believe me, Garbage is much tamer. 

Shirley is Scottish and she is a regular guest with late night talk show host, Craig Ferguson, who is also Scottish. It's fun to watch them interact, like old chums. I dig the accent, especially coming from her. This video is from one of her appearances on his show (if you're squeamish, cover your eyes for the clip at the beginning of her as the Terminator - it's a brief clip): 



No comments:

Post a Comment