Monday, July 8, 2013

Colin Meloy of the Decemberists plays Guadalcanal Diary

Note: Since I've mentioned the rest of Garbage by name, I should also mention Duke Erikson. 

******** 

One of my favorite bands from the 1980s and 90s was Guadalcanal Diary. I first saw them open a concert for R.E.M. during the Reconstruction Tour in Santa Barbara, California. It was my first R.E.M. concert after driving up to Berkeley to see them play only to have that concert rained out. 

Although I was certainly familiar with R.E.M.'s music at the time, I wasn't familiar at all with Guadalcanal Diary. And from their first note, I was won over. They had music that was immediate - I didn't have to listen to an album over and over until I "got" it. 

The Decemberists are a contemporary band, and I'm not even all that familiar with them. I've seen them play Austin City Limits on television and like their sound. 

Here is a performance that I found since discovering Augustana playing the Bing Lounge in Portland, Oregon. The Bing Lounge has lots of gems: 



No comments:

Post a Comment