Wednesday, July 3, 2013

James Bond and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang... how are they related?

Let's see if I remember how to do this (blogging that is) - it's been awhile. 

Anyway, while watching Jeopardy last night, I learned something I had no idea of before: Ian Fleming, the creator of James Bond, also wrote Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. 

After seeing that, I was so incredulous I had to look it up online. And sure enough, it's true! Mr. Fleming wrote Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as a story for his child. 

I remember watching that movie as a kid and being quite terrified of that awful "child catcher" character. I even had a bit of a nightmare of a dream that included someone driving a big truck that looked like that "child catcher." I had this dream as an adult in my late-thirties. 

Yes, the movie made an impression on me; I can still hear Dick Van Dyke singing the title song, and can picture that shiny car. I'd watch it again except for, well, you can guess. He was terrifying, like those flying monkeys in The Wizard of Oz. 

Here's the song though - what a blast to the past! I didn't remember the details, just the chorus: 




No comments:

Post a Comment