Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Day 6 - cleansing and detox

Yesterday's 'shake' day was fine; not much to talk about there. 

I wrote to my cleanse coach (nothing formal in that designation - he's helping to guide me through this process) and let him know that I'm still hovering around the original 4 or so pounds that I lost initially. He responded that I'm still way ahead of the curve and that I should really start 'releasing' the weight after my first cleanse day. Which is today. I'll report on how it goes tomorrow. 

******** 

Funny how I decided at some point to not comment after each 49ers game like I've been doing for a few seasons now while I'm doing this cleansing, yet a couple of posts ago I decided to write about the dreams I had the night before... how silly is that? 

I still don't plan on posting my thoughts on the 49ers (bad loss to the Vikings, ahem) after each game (woefully ineffective) for these 4 weeks while I'm doing this cleansing, but I can't ignore what's going on in football in general:

"What the h*ll's going on out here?" (to quote the great Vince Lombardi). 

These replacement refs should now be making everyone appreciate how good the regular refs are. The regular refs have the experience to know the rule book, know how to stick to their own guns rather than let the players and coaches influence their calls, maintain flow, and for the most part, MAKE THE RIGHT CALLS! Allowing for the occasional gaff, of course; at least they used to make only a few over several games instead of several of them per game, if not every quarter. 

Some sports commentators were stating before Monday Night's game that none of these bad calls had directly cost a team a game. Wasn't it enough knowing that it could and probably would happen, instead of saying "it hasn't happened yet?" Well, now it has!

Speaking of that particular play, I've seen 'simultaneous possession' types of plays before, where two players are wrestling over the ball. Usually it looks like each has about 50 percent possession. In those cases, yes, the offense is to be awarded possession, sort of like in baseball how 'tie goes to the runner.' But what about cases such as on Monday Night's where one player has something like 80 percent or more of the ball? The Green Bay defender was hugging the ball whereas the Seattle player merely managed to be touching the ball. But nowhere having possession of it. So the refs award the ball to the offense? Is that all it takes - for the offensive player just to touch the ball with his hand? Ridiculous. 

It occurred to me also that the first ref to run over and signal touchdown may have been supremely confused about which team was even on offense for that play. Perhaps he thought that Green Bay threw the ball, and when he saw that a Packer had caught it, signaled touchdown. Possible? I wouldn't doubt it. 

Also considering that the NFL owners are for the most part all billionaires, sure, giving the regular refs a lucrative salary may seem exorbitant, but the owners have been willing to pay their players hundreds of thousands and millions of dollars to put a great product on the field. Why not be willing to pay generously for the integrity of the game? 

Let me guess: these billionaire NFL owners are lousy tippers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment