Tuesday, October 27, 2009

you talkin' to me?

It's almost year 2010...

and I don't own a cell phone.

I know that I should, especially in case of emergencies, but I'm still putting off getting one. I realize that the longer I wait, the harder it will be when I finally do. After all, technology is advancing at an ever alarming rate and I missed the time when they were simply cell phones. Now they're cameras too, and mini-computers, and other assorted devices. Or can be anyway. Actually, I don't even know just what they are capable of nowadays.

Sure, my telephone is push-button and not a rotary - at least I'm that current. But I insist that my handset reaches
all the way from my ear to my mouth. I've never understood talking into empty space. And I like the handle to be something I can comfortably wrap my hand around, and press against my ear with my shoulder if I want to. There's something so balanced about the handsets of yesteryear.

I remember how odd it was hearing one of my nieces referring to the good ol' telephone as a 'landline' for the first time - why not keep the name 'telephone'? Oh, right, I suppose that the word telephone could possibly be confused with 'cell phone' (celephone?). I don't really know the reason for using the word landline instead of telephone.

I've been embarrassed while in public when, without hearing the sound of a ringing telephone, I suddenly hear someone starting a conversation: "Hi! How are you? What's going on?" So I wheel around, expecting to see someone that I know, only to realize that they are talking to someone on their cell phone. It's a good thing they're too wrapped up in their calls to notice me turning around with an expectant expression on my face. And I've often wondered: technology is great, but isn't it kind of a drag to always be reachable?

No comments:

Post a Comment