Monday, October 12, 2009

bad day

for Bay Area football, that is.

Yesterday, the 49ers and the Raiders lost by a combined score of 89-17... tough to wrap my mind around. As I mentioned before, I enjoy it when both teams win, but only the 49ers losing really hurts. I just watched Coach Singletary's press conference and it's just what I expected: straightforward and determined. We'll see how the team comes back from this loss.

Now I'd like to get to today's topic: uniforms! Yesterday, the Broncos wore what must be the most hideous looking uniforms ever worn in an NFL game. And the Patriots, their opponents, wore what simply looked like the uniforms they had just prior to their current designs. If teams are going to go retro with their looks, my suggestion is that they at least match up the eras to which they are going back. For example, the Broncos should have worn their uniforms from the 1970's to match what the Patriots were wearing. As for matching what the Broncos were wearing, I can't even imagine what the Patriots could have worn that was that ugly. But to wear colors that aren't of the same era is anachronistic and confusing.

Another idea I've had for years that I'm dredging up now is the color combination I thought would have been perfect for the old Houston Oilers (now the Tennessee Titans). I suppose I'm bringing this up now because the Titans have worn their retro Oiler uniforms in recent play. And I get my color ideas from... the Tampa Bay Buccaneers! For those of you familiar with the old Oilers uniforms, wouldn't the oil rig logo have looked so much more appropriate combined with the red, pewter, and black colors of the current Buccaneers? Baby blue never looked right for football. And thank goodness the Buccaneers changed their color scheme in the first place; those original orange uniforms were ridiculous!

No comments:

Post a Comment