Thursday, October 8, 2009

a play about a medieval court

The strongest memory I have of being in second grade is when my class was to put on a play which we had to perform in front of each of the other classrooms. Not my thing, being in front of people, I mean. I'm not exactly the type to draw attention to myself, hamming it up and such, even at such a young age.

I can distinctly remember sitting in class and having these large boards placed in front of us with the play and each of the characters and their lines printed on them. After reading them, we requested which character we wanted to portray. The play was about a king and his court; I remember thinking that I'd look for the character with the least amount of dialogue and that would be my choice. Smart, right? Only one other kid chose the same character and the two of us got to play him in different performances.

Naturally, it was up to our parents to somehow provide us with our costumes, most likely by making them. So I went home and told my mom the name of my character:


Jester Joe

Now I can't say just what the look was on my face when she first told me what a jester was and then showed me the picture of a jester that was shown in our encyclopedia (this was way before computers and the Internet for you young folks). But I was seriously in denial. And absolutely horrified. My mom, being able to sew, made me a wonderful little costume and I wore it (all I can recall from the play itself was a kid named John B. played the king, and in one part I had to pretend to slip and find a ring on the floor), but my turn as Jester Joe isn't exactly a fond memory.

Although we still have the costume hanging in a closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment