Tuesday, October 6, 2009

go niners!

Well, I couldn't go on forever without mentioning my favorite football team, the San Francisco 49ers. The season is 1/4 over, and I might as well share some of my thoughts:

First of all, I really like Mike Singletary. Like any good teacher, he is demanding but fair. He is consistent in what he says, so there is no second-guessing. I admire his sincerity and straightforwardness with the players. A good example is the blossoming of tight end Vernon Davis. Whereas he once appeared selfish and lost on his way to greatness, his relationship with Coach Singletary has him pointed in the right direction.

I am also certain that should 2009 draft pick wide receiver Michael Crabtree finally sign a contract to play for the 49ers, he would also greatly benefit from working with such a coach, not just as a player but as a human being. This transcends any amount of money - Crabtree has the opportunity to play on a team full of players bringing out the very best in each other.

I'm not close enough to football to understand the nuances, but leadership makes a palpable difference, just as it does with any business. And I am very impressed with what I've seen of new team president Jed York. Any reminder of Eddie DeBartolo, Jr. is a good thing! Before Joe Montana, and even before Bill Walsh, the great Super Bowl teams began with Eddie DeBartolo, Jr. and it is so encouraging to see how Jed York is conducting himself as the new team president.

It's easy to be so positive considering their win-loss record up to this point, and I admit that. It's a long season, and I'll have to be steady in my emotions even after the losses to come that are inevitable. Time will tell, but all the signs for success are there!

No comments:

Post a Comment