Saturday, March 20, 2010

posies and steele

Many years ago, I went to see the Posies perform in San Francisco. It was a fantastic concert; I remember we found great seats at the front of the balcony. Now I'm not the most demonstrative audience member (hence, I loved being on the balcony) and am more intent on soaking in a concert, memorizing it rather than 'participating' at the same time: clapping, hollering, jumping up and down, etc. Evidently, the crowd on the floor was rather subdued too - at one point, I recall bass player Ken Stringfellow saying "Ah, a finger-snapping crowd!" It was funny.

At one point, the band urged a woman from the crowd to get up on stage to sing a song; I couldn't tell just whom she was, but considering how she sounded when they performed Big Star's 'September Gurls' I'm pretty sure she was Michael Steele from the Bangles. And if you read my entry yesterday, what a great combination that was for Big Star fans, both on stage and in the crowd!

There is a movie out now about '70s all-girl band The Runaways. I'd heard of them, and knew that Joan Jett and Lita Ford were both members, but decided to check on Wikipedia to see what else I could find out. I was surprised to read that Michael Steele was actually a member of the Runaways, but very early on before they released anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment