Monday, March 15, 2010

and then there were three...

Another album I remember my brother bringing home many years ago was Genesis' and then there were three... I never got into it and only really learned of Genesis from the videos they made - when there were just the three of them (Mike Rutherford, Tony Banks, and Phil Collins). It wasn't until much later, after Peter Gabriel was having hits of his own, that I learned that he was once their lead singer. The earliest song I can recall by Genesis is Turn It On Again; I can still picture the part of the video that shows Phil Collins in silhouette re-directing the light shining upon him ("I can show you, I can show you, some of the people in my life...").

What has me thinking about Genesis is they too will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this evening. And to mention (again?) a musical connection (I love musical connections and bits of trivia!), Frida had a post-ABBA hit with her song I Know There's Something Going On, and it was produced by... Phil Collins, who also played drums on it. I hope Phil will show up with the rest of the group to accept their induction tonight and I look forward to finding out whether or not he and Frida are seen reminiscing about their collaboration. Even though I've found online that like ABBA, Genesis isn't going to reunite for a performance tonight either, it still looks like it will be a fun event. I hope Peter Gabriel is there!

No comments:

Post a Comment