Saturday, March 13, 2010

how to pronounce Agnetha

I'm not Swedish and don't speak the language, but I'd like to give you an idea of how to pronounce her name correctly. I remember the first time I paid attention to the name of 'the blonde from ABBA' and pronounced it to myself the way it was spelled - somehow it didn't sound as pretty as she was. Then looking around YouTube and hearing her or her band mates say her name, it sounded much better! There was even a video clip I found of Agnetha and Benny making an appearance on a British children's show and the host himself didn't bother trying to pronounce it correctly, perhaps because he thought it was too difficult for the children to say - I thought he was just being lazy.

So here goes - it sounds more like: ann-YET-tah,
and not at all like: AG-nuth-uh

Much prettier now, isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Proper way to say it as she does is
    Ahgn - NEE - uh - ta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It must sound particularly lovely when she says it herself.

      Delete