Wednesday, March 3, 2010

drinking water

We've all heard by now that consuming plenty of water is healthful. It's pretty common to see glasses full of ice water being served at restaurants, although many patrons prefer ordering something else to drink, such as a soda.

On the other hand, I once read an article espousing the benefits of drinking hot tea, not only for its anti-oxidant and other chemical properties, but for the warmth of the liquid itself. The article made a strong case for consuming warm liquids - it is better for our bodies and digestive systems than drinking cold liquids.

Which reminds me of my late mother - she is the only person I knew of that would occasionally enjoy sipping warm water. Whereas I might boil a pot of water in order to make a cup of hot chocolate or steep a bag of tea, she would simply pour a mug full of hot water and sip it like hot tea. Actually, I sometimes do it now myself. I figured I drink plain water throughout my day, why not drink it warm? So for those of you that drink their water plain but usually cold or at room temperature, I highly recommend drinking it warm too. It's especially nice on a cold day!

No comments:

Post a Comment