Friday, March 12, 2010

half of ABBA

One of my sisters found an article online that she printed out for me. It tells about this Monday's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremonies - only two members of ABBA are expected to be there: Frida and Benny. I already knew that it was highly unlikely that Agnetha would make the long trip over from Sweden because of her fear of flying; Bjorn won't be there either. Actually, I think it works out better this way. I mean as long as they're not all there, I'm not going to be too upset at which ones are able to make it or not make it. Plus, it takes the pressure off of Agnetha, since it would be awful if she alone were held responsible for there not being an ABBA reunion.

According to the article, Barry and Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees will do the inducting, which is fitting since both groups occupy the poppier side of music. The article also states that Faith Hill is slated to perform some of their songs during the ceremony, perhaps 'The Winner Takes It All' since she has performed it in her concerts. I wonder if she will also be harmonizing with Frida on some other ABBA hits. I sure hope to see Benny playing keyboards as well... what I'm envisioning now is Benny playing piano, Frida and Faith singing vocals, and Paul Shaffer and his band providing backup.

This will have to do I guess and in the meantime, an ABBA reunion will have to remain playing out in my imagination - and it's wonderful! One of my scenarios even has them performing unplugged. It will lack the so-called ABBA 'sound' as constructed by themselves and Michael Tretow, but they sound great stripped down. I've even imagined Frida and
Agnetha harmonizing on Simon & Garfunkel's song 'Benedictus.'

In any case, I always enjoy the tributes that are created for each of the inductees, so I am looking forward to that part too. Also being inducted this Monday is another favorite group of mine, the Hollies. I'll be glued to my television.

No comments:

Post a Comment