Saturday, February 13, 2010

pupa movement


I had a classmate that was kind of grossed out when I showed him my 'nature' photos of ladybugs changing into adults. I hope you, dear reader, are able to stomach them! Admittedly, it's not quite as charming as seeing the chrysalis of a butterfly, but I think it's valuable in case you see something like it in your garden.

Today's photo shows a ladybug pupa sticking straight out. One day as I was observing the various stages they go through (I had many to look at on my trellis, only days if not just hours apart in timing), and this one was actively moving! I know that sounds redundant, but it took only about 2-3 seconds to go from sticking straight out to pointing down again. This went on back-and-forth for a little while. It was really cool to stand there and watch; I was lucky to happen upon it at the right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment