Friday, February 12, 2010

ladybug pupa


Over the next several days, I'm going to go ahead and take you through a series of photographs showing ladybugs going through various stages of their life cycles. A few years ago, I got a welcome visit from ladybugs to my trellis. They used it and the vines to 'be fruitful and multiply.' I looked forward to more such visits, but unfortunately, that was the only year (so far). The vines which grow next to the trellis are California (or Hairy, or Pink) Honeysuckles (Lonicera hispidula). Each year they get aphids, which supply the ladybugs, both as larva and as adults, with plenty of food.

This photograph shows two stages: the one below is a larva, trailing not long in time to the one above which has entered its pupa stage. I can't get over the metamorphosis, already and to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment