Thursday, February 25, 2010

a Beatle birthday

Today is the late George Harrison's birthday. Growing up, I was always curious to see which celebrities I shared my birthday with - in fact, I still like to know. At first when I started reading the celebrity birthdays for February 25th, I recall seeing George's name and picturing Rex Harrison (from 'My Fair Lady') but eventually I realized that it was George, aka 'the quiet Beatle.'

It was neat because George was always my favorite Beatle. I didn't necessarily identify with the more obvious John or Paul, and decided that George was my favorite (kind of like how John Taylor was my favorite football player instead of the more obvious Jerry Rice). Later realizing that George and I shared the same birthday seemed almost fitting.

It was funny reading about people that actually knew him - it seems, according to them, that calling him 'the quiet Beatle' was a misnomer, because once he got going there was no shutting him up! And it's also neat reading about how he was interested in gardening and spiritualism, more to have in common with him.

Other famous celebrities that were born on February 25th: Enrico Caruso (legendary opera singer), Bobby Riggs (tennis player), Sally Jesse Raphael (talk show host - born the same year as George Harrison), John Doe (from the band X), Sean Astin (actor from 'Rudy' and 'Lord of the Rings'), Tea Leoni (actress from 'Fun with Dick and Jane' and 'Spanglish'), Tommy Newsom (former Tonight Show bandleader), Jim Backus (Thurston Howell III on 'Gilligan's Island' and
the voice of Mr. Magoo), Chelsea Handler (comedian and talk show host), and Paul O'Neill (baseball player - born the same year as me!).

No comments:

Post a Comment