Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Australian stuff

Wait a minute, I should watch my language! If I was in Australia, that is.

I once worked with a woman many years ago that got a kick out of the word 'stuff.' According to her, in Australia the word stuff is akin to the f-word. You know, f-yoo-c-k. Which I'll refrain from using here. On the other hand, stuff, stuff, stuff, stuff, stuff!

It's funny to think how a word that is so otherwise innocuous over here can mean something totally different somewhere else. So if you hear an Australian say "What the stuff?" you'll have a better idea of what they're really expressing. As opposed to here in America where you might hear someone innocently say "I am so stuffed!" while patting their belly after a big meal, or maybe "Would you like some stuffing?" while serving food at a holiday dinner. How awful (-ly funny)! Looking online though, I can't find anything that says that stuff is quite the same as using the f-word. Although according to the dictionary, it can be used as an expression of contempt. I guess you'd have to ask someone from Australia!

No comments:

Post a Comment