Wednesday, April 14, 2010

what's wrong with onus?

Years ago, I was talking to one of my cousins and I made the simple mistake of using the word 'onus' in a sentence. Granted, it's not the most common word to say but I suppose I had seen it used so many times that I thought it would be okay to say it out loud.

Where do I see it you ask? In the sports section! Or online, reading articles about sports. For example, "the onus is on the defense now to win the game." I've read so many football articles that I've frequently seen the word onus used and it's not a big deal. I've even heard sportscasters say it during broadcasts.

But after my cousin was done questioning me about using such a word, ending with: "Okay, Arthur, only me" like he would be the only person magnanimous and understanding enough to let me get away with it (then why did he make such a big deal of it in the first place??) I decided that I would never, ever use that word again. Maybe anus, but not onus.

No comments:

Post a Comment