Tuesday, April 13, 2010

ladybug laying eggs


A few years ago this month, I was traipsing (did I just say traipsing?) - I was traipsing around my native plant garden, checking out how things were going (and growing). I think by that time I was aware of the occasional strings of tiny golden yellow eggs that I was finding on one plant, a California sagebrush (Artemisia californica - this plant smells wonderful!). I probably knew that they had to be the eggs of the few ladybugs that I was finding walking up and down the slender branches. I found myself so interested in what I was finding, that I knelt down and inspected the sagebrush all over. And there it was: a ladybug actively laying its eggs on one of the older lower branches deep inside! Not knowing how much time I had, I rushed into the house to grab a camera (at the time, a film camera) and quickly snapped some pictures. I wish I could remember more details, but I must have been lucky and had a fairly fast film already loaded in my camera. I was only able to get no more than a few shots, none of them great, but that's the best one above. If you missed the series of ladybug pictures I posted earlier this year, they started here. Make sure you know a ladybug larva when you see one!

No comments:

Post a Comment