Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Clapton is Gosh

More thoughts on accents. It's interesting how they appear and disappear in music. For the most part, I've found that bands with accents when they speak lose them when they are singing. The only exception that immediately comes to mind is The Proclaimers ("I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)") who sing with as thick a brogue as I've ever heard.

Back during the British Invasion of the 1960s, I think a lot of garage bands adopted accents so they could sound more like their heroes! From the Beatles and the Rolling Stones though and on to the present, I generally can't detect any accents when performers are singing.

One of my favorite movies is 'This Is Spinal Tap' and I love hearing the accents that the actors use for their characters. I surely don't know much about the regional dialects over in England, but when I hear guitarist Nigel Tufnel speak, it sounds like he's speaking with the very same accent as Eric Clapton. So to go further, I like to imagine 'Slowhand' himself pointing to the knobs of his amplifier, saying that they go one louder.

"These go to eleven."

No comments:

Post a Comment