Saturday, April 3, 2010

snipe hunt!

One of my all-time favorite TV shows is 'Cheers.' And naturally, I followed its wonderful spin-off 'Frasier,' another great show. Even with a smaller cast of characters, it managed to be as good as 'Cheers.' One thing I really like about these shows as opposed to others is the focus on the stories before the humor. I've tried watching other sitcoms and many seem like a series of one-liners with nothing else going on - I'd rather get invested in a good storyline first, and then see the humor in the situation.

Getting back to the character Frasier. When he first appeared on 'Cheers' I didn't care for him much. He seemed so square and proper, not at all like the regular cast of 'Cheers.' What changed my perception of him was the episode that had the other characters send poor Frasier on a 'snipe' hunt. The actor Kelsey Grammer did a fantastic job in having Frasier come out of his shell. I wouldn't be surprised if this one episode was what led to him eventually getting his own show!

As for the snipe-hunt, I guess the gist of that practical joke is the supposed non-existence of a bird called a snipe. The thing is, while looking through my bird books, there is an actual bird called a snipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment