Wednesday, April 28, 2010

music choice

I've mentioned before that I enjoy watching/listening to the Music Choice television channels, primarily the ones for the '70s and Solid Gold Oldies. I also enjoy reading through the snippets of information that are shown while the music is playing. Although I don't consider myself any sort of expert on each of the performers, I still find myself questioning which photographs are used to depict the artists and occasionally the information shown too.

I have my own ideas as to which photographs would best represent the bands, or in other words, which lineups are most representative of them; should other photographs be utilized as well, then that would 'complete' their careers. But when the focus is put on the artist in such a way that doesn't best represent them, well, it befuddles me and probably others.

Some of the artists that first come to mind are: The Byrds, The Moody Blues, and ABBA.

First, the Byrds. I consider the 'classic' lineup to be: Roger McGuinn, David Crosby, Gene Clark, Chris Hillman, and Michael Clarke. At least this is the most familiar lineup, although there were many as the group evolved, particularly as they moved into country-rock. Yet on Music Choice, the set of pictures that are used only show the band from the later configurations, and the only member I consistently recognize is Roger McGuinn.

The Moody Blues. Again, I'm no expert, but their greatest hits were done with Justin Hayward singing lead vocals. Yet the photos shown of the group have lineups that don't even include him; I am only able to recognize one member of the very early incarnation of the band that is shown.

And ABBA. Naturally, as a big fan, this is the example that bothers me the most! The revolving set of photos that Music Choice uses has not a single one that even shows the iconic blonde Agnetha... ??? What's up with that? And the photos that they do use are only of Frida, Bjorn, and Benny from more recent years, well after they recorded together. I can't believe that they don't have any photos from when the band was at their most popular.

I suppose that I would understand if there is an issue with copyrights and such, but that would be a stretch to believe. What could be the reason then? Wouldn't an enterprise such as Music Choice be able to choose from any number of available images of an artist? And if it's a matter of applying additional effort and doing more research... I wonder if they're hiring?

No comments:

Post a Comment