Monday, April 19, 2010

abbreviations and nicknames

I often listen to the local radio sports show, KNBR, in the mornings. There's a guy they like to call 'Pecan' and I used to think "What a cool nickname!" and wondered what about him made them think of calling him 'Pecan'? His personality? His stature? Then I realized that his name is Patrick Connor, and they were calling him 'PCon.' Oh, I get it.

Dave Flemming calls games for the San Francisco Giants. One morning he was a guest on the KNBR morning show. I realize that the hosts were calling him 'Flem' for short, but really, it sounded like 'phlegm' every time they said it. Not the most pleasant thing to picture. And then the conversation turned to how he had had a sore throat recently and the guys were suggesting that he gargle to help deal with it.

So, let me get this straight, they were telling 'Phlegm' to 'gargle'... c'mon guys, watch it with the imagery!

No comments:

Post a Comment