Wednesday, January 13, 2010

meeting Mark McGwire

With all the news the past couple of days about Mark McGwire's admission of using steroids, I was reminded of the time I met him.

This was when he played for the Oakland A's, some time before the A's won their championship in 1989. One of my cousins worked as a picture framer in a mall and he framed a picture or two for Mark's girlfriend; learning who she was as he spoke to her when she placed the order, he offered to make the delivery of the finished items himself. Maybe there was a chance of meeting Mark. And knowing how big a baseball fan I was, he invited me to go with him that day.

It was a very nice home where we met Mark. Naturally, he towered over both of us, and introduced himself with an extended hand: "Hi, I'm Mark McGwire." My cousin conversed comfortably with Mark, whereas I may well have come across as not knowing who he was or what baseball was for that matter. I'm not very chatty unless I'm really comfortable in a situation, and I didn't know what to say that he could have found very interesting. It reminds me of the time I met a few members of R.E.M. but I digress.

Mark was dressed to go to the park, and after spending a little time with us and talking about the framed pictures, he told us that he had to "go to work." He was very polite and personable, which doesn't come as any surprise. I have my own thoughts and opinions about the latest brouhaha involving him and his baseball playing days, but will save them for when I can hash out my feelings in conversation and possibly see the situation from different angles.

No comments:

Post a Comment