Thursday, December 17, 2009

watching Star Wars in order

As long as I've been wondering about this, I suppose that it's really not that unlikely anymore - there really could be a generation of people that will watch the Star Wars movies in order: Episodes I - VI. Not in the order they were produced and filmed, i.e. Episodes IV - VI followed by Episodes I - III but in the order that the story takes place.

As I recall, George Lucas had nine episodes in mind when he first came up with the saga, and not knowing how incredibly successful the movie(s) would be, chose to begin by filming the original Star Wars film, which ultimately became (I believe) Star Wars - Episode IV - A New Hope. And after the first trilogy was finished and even quite awhile after, the prequel
trilogy was filmed. As for the final three installments (Episodes VII - IX), as far as I know, there are no plans to ever make them. Now that I think about it, I'm curious how the story evolves through to the end of the final episode as envisioned by Mr. Lucas.

Anyway, although I am part of the generation that saw the six movies as they were filmed and released, I am curious to find out what the people that see them in the order of episodes think. I wonder how possible it is to see them without so much of a glimpse as to what Anakin Skywalker eventually becomes, for example, until it actually happens. Or to be unaware of the twins Luke and Leia until they're born, whom of course play such pivotal roles in Episodes IV through VI. It's not only this younger generation's following of the storylines that I would find so intriguing, but the advanced technology that is so prevalent in the prequels, both in the story and what was available in making them. I haven't even personally seen Episodes II and III in their entirety, just clips here and there. But what I've seen of the prequels looks so different from the original Star Wars films; I have a hard time envisioning them as taking place chronologically before.

Another thing I wonder is how possible it even is to see Star Wars as it was first released, without the advanced special effects that were applied later. I can appreciate the newer technology being applied to it, but as for what would take me back in time and jar special memories, I think I would actually prefer it in its untouched condition.

Maybe I'm just showing my age by remembering 'the good ol' days.'

No comments:

Post a Comment