Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Happy Birthday, you're in the Hall of Fame!

Sorry folks, I've been having problems with my telephone and online connection for the past few days. My phone still has static and my Internet access has been intermittent, but I was told by customer service this morning that it will be fixed soon. I'll see how resuming my daily entries goes.

************

Where to start? Well, today's entry will be about what I read in the paper this morning: "Mamma mia! ABBA in Rock HOF"

Yup, they're in! along with Genesis, Jimmy Cliff, The Hollies, and the Stooges. Those of you that have been reading my blog since the beginning know that I like ABBA; one of my earlier entries was about them, particularly the beauty and the cutie. As long as my online connection allows me to scan the Internet, I'm curious to see what people's reactions are to this news. Some will be against it, either on 'rock purist' grounds or because they just don't like ABBA anyway. Others are ABBA fanatics (I guess that would be me) and can't help but imagine that there will finally be an ABBA reunion. I mean, they have to now... don't they?

Tradition has HOF inductees gathering in the U.S. somewhere (New York?) for a performance after an induction speech and however many acceptance speeches. The thing with ABBA is they have stated time and again that they would never get back together. There is the notion that it would only sully the memories, the circumstance that they are two ex-couples now, plus the fear of flying that Agnetha (the blonde) suffers from. As much as I would love to see them on stage together again, let alone performing, I'm concerned about any pressure that would be placed upon Agnetha because of this honor. I've imagined their induction for awhile now and we have a good time - although me getting an invite and sitting at their table and enjoying their reunion performance personally is pretty unlikely.

I'm also excited to see The Hollies inducted. Their greatest hits album is one I grew up listening to and I've also enjoyed viewing some of the wonderful videos I've found of them on YouTube. I wonder how they're doing this many years later? Which members will be able to make it to the ceremonies?

And Genesis too! I only really became aware of them after Peter Gabriel had already left - I hope that he will be there for the induction ceremonies. And now that I think about it, Phil Collins worked very closely with Frida (the brunette in ABBA) on her first post-ABBA solo album. That will be interesting to see them together again.

************

Also in the newspaper each day is a listing of the day's birthdays. And by coincidence, two of today's birthdays belong to Tony Hicks of the Hollies and Benny Andersson of ABBA. Acceptance into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - pretty nice present, wouldn't you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment