Monday, December 28, 2009

space cadet

Although I'm certain that I have the personality for it, I've never gotten hooked on video games. That is, I've never owned a video gaming console or whatever they have nowadays. Many years ago, I did go out to the video arcade with my cousin and his girlfriend for a short while, but never anything that I could hook onto a television.

I'm an avowed Macintosh person, even though the very first computer I ever got for myself was a PC - a tower to be specific, with a 386 chip (that should be a good indication of how long ago it was). I remember the computer salesman at the time telling me that Windows was just as easy to use as the Mac... and this was back then! Well it most certainly wasn't and the only thing I found myself using that computer for was to play games, specifically solitaire, pinball, and inexplicably the diabolical minesweeper. I can't explain how I let myself get hooked on that one.

Fortunately, someone helped me out by offering to buy that PC tower from me, which helped me make up a fraction of what I paid for it, and then some time later I finally got myself a Macintosh. No games though.

Towards the end of the class I took to learn the software programs
of MS Office a couple of years ago, a classmate offered to give me an outdated computer running Windows from his wife's workplace and how could I say no? Primarily because I could once again play the one game I couldn't do without: Space Cadet pinball! As far as I know, it's all I need to sate my desire to play games on a computer, or a video game system for that matter. And as far as an electronic pinball game goes, Space Cadet is really very good. Fast and interesting and it even has some quirks that I've learned to adapt to.

For a non-gamer, I think I've gotten pretty good at it too. I couldn't possibly stand toe-to-toe with people that grew up playing video-type games, but gaming-wise, I've devoted myself entirely to playing pinball, so that must count for something. And although I'm sure that my top scores aren't all that great compared to the truly adept players in the Space Cadet universe, I'm happy with them. And wouldn't it be nice to somehow transfer my computer pinball skills to a nice career?

Here are my top five scores:

  1. 110,218,750
  2. 109,610,000
  3. 105,904,500
  4. 92,409,000
  5. 87,566,000

No comments:

Post a Comment