Monday, September 12, 2011

game 1 - Seahawks vs. 49ers

While reading the various articles about the 49ers victory over the Seahawks yesterday, I've made little mental notes to myself about what I would like to mention in today's blog entry... knowing full well that I wouldn't remember most of them. So I'll do some sort of stream of consciousness, which is what most of my thoughts have seemed like lately anyway.

Hmmm... Ted Ginn, Jr.! Most excellent - and I missed watching his big plays in the 4th quarter because of a phone call. A bit of Niner history there, Ginn being the first 49er to run back both a kickoff return and a punt return for touchdowns in the same game. Oh well... I saw most of the game anyway. It was beginning to become a nail-biter after the Niners had built up a 16 - 0 lead. I hadn't realized that it had become a 2 - point game before the first of Ginn's special teams touchdown runs. When I was done with the phone call, I came back to find that the final score was 33 - 17 and my first thought was that the Niner offense had drummed up some points. Special teams points instead? I'll take it!

But I'll take some touchdowns by the offense in future games too! I have to keep reminding myself that installing Harbaugh's version of the West Coast Offense (WCO) will be a process. And has often been mentioned by myself and others over and over again, it was a shortened off-season this year, giving less time for this installation. The play-calling even seemed rather drab and unimaginative at times, but a fully realized WCO will show itself in the weeks and months to come. Besides, since the 49er defense was playing so well, it does seem feasible that they were keeping the offense a bit under wraps for future opponents. Pretty sly isn't it, keeping their cards close to the vest, even now in the regular season?

The defense also seemed to be keeping some secrets. And why not? They were playing quite effectively without having to employ risky blitzes and the like. These can start being unveiled in future games, thus giving future opponents less game film to study up on. Although Seattle is going through their own growing pains with rookies, new players and new coaches and schemes, it was still a well-earned victory for the 49ers.

Alex Smith! I'm no biologist, but maybe he can be seen as a molecule who has spent years waiting for the right catalyst, and that catalyst may well be Jim Harbaugh. How's that? His numbers were pretty modest, but like the rest of the team, maybe over time, the production will get greater and greater. Nothing like going through growing pains while winning at the same time! Next week they'll be tested by going against the Dallas Cowboys.

After Alex Smith ran in for a touchdown then was greeted and hugged by Coach Harbaugh on the sidelines, I imagined Harbaugh saying, "I LOVE you, man!" as they embraced.

No comments:

Post a Comment