Saturday, June 5, 2010

perfect for tailgating!

What do you think when you first see the phrase, 'perfect for tailgating!'?

My first thought turns to one of my greatest sources of anxiety: being tailgated while driving. I once worked as a proofreader for a free paper that advertised used cars for both auto dealerships and private sellers. Some of the time, there was hardly enough room to fit the entire requested description in the space provided, so we had the option to do some editing. Well, one dealership was very verbose in their descriptions and had included 'Perfect for tailgating!' for one of their pickups. I was so put off by seeing that imagery that I took it out. It wasn't until much, much later that I realized they meant the other kind of tailgating, as in bbq'ing, setting out food on an open tailgate, etc. At least, I hope that was what they meant. Yeesh!

No comments:

Post a Comment