Monday, September 2, 2013

Tazmanian Devils: Feel Alright/Laura/Don't Hold Back

Another of the Bay Area bands that I loved back in my college days was the Tazmanian Devils. It seems that there is a modern band of the same name, which I don't know much about. They even use a "z" instead of an "s" in their spelling. 

No matter, here is the one I liked. They were from Fairfax in Marin County. I really wish there was as much available of them online as there is of the Rubinoos. 



It was during college that I for some reason had two copies of their first album and I decided to donate one of them to my college's radio station. Unfortunately the time I dropped by, there were two ingrates sitting there. They gave some crazy droll attitude... I left the album and left. 

It wasn't until I happened to be driving back up to the Bay Area one day that I heard an appreciative DJ expressing joy and surprise at finding my donated album there. I was leaving town (San Luis Obispo) and headed up the steep climb of Cuesta Grade with my car's radio tuned to KCPR when I heard him talk about them.

I was just getting out of hearing distance (not a strong enough radio signal to overcome the grade) when he started playing a song off the album. At least someone there liked my contribution to the station! 

One neat thing I've read about the Taz is lead singer Dennis Hogan went on to become a math teacher. The band still gets together occasionally to perform and his students get a kick out of seeing him up on stage. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment