Wednesday, August 10, 2011

on my desktop


Here is one of my prized plants, a Rhododendron occidentale, or Western azalea. Not my actual plant though; it's a photograph of my ideal specimen, taken by James Gaither, and used without permission (sorry!). Considering how widely read this blog most surely is (ahem), that could be a real problem... in any case, it is what I currently have on my computer's desktop.

The Western azalea is from the California Floristic Province, and although it is not locally native to where I live, I am attempting to grow it anyway. I have read that it is a slow grower, and it has been; it isn't much bigger than when I bought it through mail order a few years ago. Its flowers vary somewhat in their coloring, but today's photograph shows what I am hoping for when it has its first blooms, next season, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment