Tuesday, August 9, 2011

oh no, football talk!

It's been awhile since I was really active with this blog; there was a time when I tried to have an entry every day. And now, it might be once every week. Both a sister and a friend have commented that they aren't particularly into sports, but that's been my go-to topic whenever there hasn't much else I wanted to really write about. And this Friday, the 49ers play their first exhibition game of this new 2011 season.

With the start of football, it's a very convenient way to get in my weekly entry... a game every week, right? Sometimes when I'm lying around, a non-sports related subject will dart through my mind and I might make a mental note that that would be a good thing to 'muse' about in this blog, but then it's often gone by the time I sit down at my computer and try to remember what it was. Am I the only one that thinks better, imagines better, and is more creative while lazing in bed than while sitting at a desk in front of a computer?

I haven't talked about Coach Jim Harbaugh much since his hiring back in January, and to think of all the entries I went through when Mike Singletary was the head coach. And no, the 49ers didn't end up signing Nnamdi Asomugha off of the free agent market. But after the first wave of free agents were signed, the 49ers were very active on the market. There are a LOT of new names and faces on the team. And apparently none with contracts that will hamstring the team for years to come. I'd like to think that the Niners took a very wise and value-driven approach to their new acquisitions this off-season.

But I think what it really comes down to is the new coaching philosophy. I'd like to think that the team's new coaching regime will bring out the very best in quarterback Alex Smith and jibe perfectly with his talents. That the overall philosophy will bring out the best in every member of the team, utilizing what they do best – no more square pegs jammed into round holes. A fluid and adjustable game plan that will be capable of taking whatever the defense is giving on any given game day. To imagine a team that not only makes half-time adjustments, but one that makes in-game adjustments... it's all very exciting to think about!

Yet just as with the recent free agent activity which at first seemed to be going nowhere, I will have to remind myself that it is a process, that while Harbaugh and company are implementing their changes and molding the team's makeup and atmosphere, it could take some time. If they're building Rome, it will take more than a day or even a single season (or two). But I tell you, I can't wait to see how it all pans out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment