Tuesday, August 2, 2011

have you heard of... ?

Recently, I was talking with one of my nieces. She's in her early 20's. I had a Music Choice channel on the television and Linda Rondstadt was singing. I asked my niece if she had heard of Linda Rondstadt, and I wasn't too surprised when she shook her head 'no.' And because I thought it was an interesting bit of trivia, I told her that Ms. Rondstadt was Governor Jerry Brown's girlfriend back when he was the Governor of California the first time around. My niece politely listened.

So, later that same conversation, I was describing to my niece about the parlor game 'Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon.' How depending on how one defines a degree, we're all six degrees of practically anyone or more interestingly in my view, any celebrity. And I asked her if she had heard of Kevin Bacon. And she shook her head 'no.'

I kept right on talking... one of the celebrities I'm sort of two degrees from is Kevin Costner. My brother has a friend from high school, Reed, whom I know too although it's been years and years, and Reed is now a Hollywood producer and writer and he happens to know Kevin Costner - in fact, the story I heard is that they've been bowling together! Anyway, I asked my niece if she had heard of Kevin Costner, and she politely shook her head 'no.'

I feel so old.

2 comments:

  1. It's strange, isn't it? I would have thought with the advent of the Internet, most celebrities and artists would not become obscure or unknown since everything/everyone lives forever in that medium. On the other hand, I guess it makes sense since there's such an information overload that one can't know all all cultural references or keep up with them all. Especially if they're from a previous generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to wonder which celebrities, entertainers, athletes, politicians, etc. are the ones that will be remembered in years to come. Some seem to live on forever, while others, no matter how famous in their time, tend to be left on the wayside.

    ReplyDelete