Monday, September 20, 2010

Heart-less at the Kennedy Center

I recently read that one of this year's honorees for the Kennedy Center Honors is Paul McCartney. He was scheduled to be celebrated back in 2002, but was unable to attend because of a prior commitment; as I recall, that was why Paul Simon was honored that year instead.

Now I'm not all that familiar with John Mellencamp, knowing only those songs of his that were hits on the radio, but not the rest of his catalogue. I never knew him necessarily to be a big fan of Paul Simon nor of Simon & Garfunkel. But he was one of the performers for Paul Simon's big night at the Kennedy Center Honors that year. He was okay I suppose, but in my mind, I'd much rather imagine that the sisters Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart had performed instead. Among their many influences was definitely Paul Simon (the acoustic guitar intro to Heart's 'Crazy On You' is reminiscent of Simon & Garfunkel's instrumental 'Anji'; the lyrics 'Time, time, time, time, never ask what's become of us' on Heart's 'Soul of the Sea' are similar to 'Time, time, time, see what's become of me' on Simon & Garfunkel's 'A Hazy Shade of Winter'; and on Nancy's solo release 'Live at McCabes Guitar Shop' she performs a cover of S&G's 'Kathy's Song'). Yup, in my altered and preferred memory of that night, Ann and Nancy performed their moving tribute to Paul Simon.

In any case, I've always enjoyed watching the Kennedy Center Honors each year, usually broadcast between the Christmas and New Year's holidays, several weeks after they occur. I am greatly anticipating how they choose to honor Sir Paul, whom they select to perform, etc. Perhaps Cirque De Soleil (performing a number from their Vegas act 'LOVE') will be one of the acts? I'm looking forward to the festivities!

No comments:

Post a Comment