Friday, September 10, 2010

a good eye

Sure, I'm like any guy that thinks they know a pretty girl when they see one. Even though beauty is in fact in the eye of the beholder, I pride myself in spotting a girl, let's say, while watching a television movie or show, watching for her name in the credits (or now, finding out who she is on the Internet), and then seeing if she later becomes famous.

Case in point: many years ago, I was watching a television movie and noticed how pretty a particular woman was at the very beginning. She was a blonde lass standing outside a car that was parked outside a house on a curb (I'm not clear on the details, but that's the picture I have in my mind); unfortunately, she was soon victimized by a crime and I didn't finish watching the movie. Now that I think about it, if I didn't finish watching the movie, how did I manage to find out the name of the actress? Well, in any case, I did find out her name and it was Cheryl Stoppelmoor.

Flash forward to sometime in the future after seeing that movie: one day, a relative newcomer named Cheryl Ladd became the newest of Charlie's Angels, playing the role of Jill Munroe's younger sister Kris. I was quite thrilled when I eventually found out that Cheryl Ladd's maiden name was... Cheryl Stoppelmoor! Have I got good taste or what?

Another example is when a spin-off of the Cosby Show, A Different World, came on the air. I couldn't help but notice that one of Denise Huxtable's roommates was awfully cute. Turned out that she was played by Marisa Tomei!

The next instance that comes to mind is an actress that appeared in one episode of Just Shoot Me. She was a cute (but clumsy) young woman that was being pulled in opposite directions regarding her career; should she pursue modeling or academia? Checking out the credits, I saw her name and it was unique and easy to remember: Ali Larter!

I just find it that much more fun when I can spot a girl before she really hits the big time of fame and accolades. Yeah, I seem to be at my best when I'm sitting at home, parked in front of the television. So, so sad... pathetic, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment