Monday, May 3, 2010

not since Lemieux in '92

Hockey is my fourth favorite spectator team sport and I watch it pretty casually. Bay Area fan that I am, the San Jose Sharks are my team (I have faint memories and a pennant of the Bay Area Seals). And although they are still seeking a Stanley Cup, they consistently make the playoffs.

The star so far of this year's playoff team is Joe Pavelski. The most common nickname I've heard for him is 'The Big Pavelski' and sometimes 'Little Joe.' Relative to most hockey players he's not very big, so those nicknames are a play on that - and of course, calling him 'The Big Pavelski' is a reference to the movie 'The Big Lebowski' starring Jeff Bridges.

It seems that some fans are still looking for a moniker to use for him, as if 'The Big Pavelski' isn't good enough. What about calling him 'The Dude'?

No comments:

Post a Comment